Around the fire at Ynglinghall

Around the fire at Ynglinghall

• This topic has 19 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated by Pohjantahti.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Välkommen!

YnglingHall has a very special location. Located near a shore with a triangle of cleared forest between it & the water. to the left & right small cliffs make it so ships can only land in view. Near the shore the water is very shallow so anchored ships cannot come very close. Elsewise one must land far enough away that my hunters, foragers, fishermen & rangers would long since see the approach of a ship crew or army by land. I have plenty of cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, game-birds, geese, duck & fresh-caught fish to feed a thousand men. My people also farm, there is a healthy variety of vegetables & herbs as well.

MENU

DRINKS

HORN OF HOUSE ALE or MEAD

Use code below to use this pic in your reply. *Control(+)a & then Control(+)c to copy the code. Control(+)v to paste it!

FOOD

Usual fare includes a choice of Roast Mutton, various Fish, steak, game-birds, Goose, Duck, Chicken & Pit-Roasted Boar, coupled with choices of potatoes, carrots, beets, onions, leeks in various combinations cooked with garlic & butter (always) & whatever herbs & lingon-berry that are in season. In the deep of winter you may get to sample my pickled meat & vegetable concoctions. Free always. 😉

RECENT-ACTIVITY +
    MEMBERS +
    LOG-IN +
    DONATE

Click HERE to reply to this conversation! Enjoy.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Pohjantahti
      Forum Editor
      @pohjantahti
      Owner RegulatorPaying MemberStaff Scribe

Eyvisl, I will sail North to Noregr (Norway) in the morning in my Kala. I will meet with Norr before you arrive. Norr and Gorr are setting out to find Goi soon. I will let them know that you will arrive soon with your men in the Skíðblaðnir (Skithblathnir). NÓREGR Chapter 1 – The First Signs of Winter

Pohjantahti
      Forum Editor
      @pohjantahti
      Owner RegulatorPaying MemberStaff Scribe

“Good to see you as well Eyvisl. I saw the Skíðblaðnir being fitted with new sails, rigging and being loaded with supplies. Looks like she is ready to sail.” Eyvisl looked over at Birger and gave him a nod and smile. Eyvisl glanced at me with a smile as he ate the finely-cooked lamb, “Poh, that last journey was too much. I am so tired, want to be here with my family but I know what we have to do.” As I ate, I pondered our options. “Eyvisl, are you sure that this cannot wait till Spring?”

Eyvisl Yngling
      Forum Editor
      @eyvisl
      Owner RegulatorStaff ScribePaying Member

Dearest Bodil, I know that you have been priming Ame’s son Birger Arneson for your position in anticipation of handing your immense responsibilities to someone else finally. Birger will do just fine, he is an extremely intelligent young man. Take a break my friend, go sail the seas Bodil, go visit your grandkids, go see the Pyramids! She smiled warmly and turned to the fire to finish roasting the lamb then turned sharply towards the main door. Just then Birger came in with a smile, “Lord Eyvisl, the witch is here!”. From behind him two hands reached up and messed-up his hair. Birger laughed and winced while Poh playfully jabbed him in the ribs. “Move it kid!” There she was , right on time. Pohjantahti gave Birger & Bodil warm hugs before she came over to sit by the fire. Bodil had shaved some lamb with what looked more like a shortsword than a kitchen knife as a young girl and boy came out with bowl-plates that us Ynglings have used for a long long time. Thinly shaved spit-cooked lamb with potatoes and carrots were placed before Poh & I with horns of her very own Sahti Ale (which I regularly serve). “Pohjantahti, it is great to see you! Skål (pron. Skol, a toast)!”. Her bright blue eyes twinkled as she spoke “Eyvisl, I’m here for the food that Bodil’s staff cook & my Sahti Ale that you serve.” All of the house-staff tried to contain their laughter unsuccessfully.
      @bodil
      @nebibit
      @mer
      @eyvisl

Eyvisl Yngling
      Forum Editor
      @eyvisl

Thank you Bodil! It is good to be home in YnglingHall. I return with the good fortunes of my travels, I need an assessment of what we have & what we need for Winter. Bodil, I am relaxed in knowing that you took care of YnglingHall in my absence. You have taken good care of three generations of my family, I am giving you a ship. Having kept the entirety of YnglingHall & the lands in great order, you have earned a vacation. I recall you having said that you have never been far from here. You have been on land for most of your life so I am giving you one of my Knörr trader ships. You will actually have private quarters, a seasoned captain & crew, the money & ability to circumnavigate the entire world. You have done so much for the Yngling line, it is time for you to enjoy the rewards.

Bodil
      Forum Editor
      @bodil
      Staff ScribePaying MemberFounding Member

Welcome Lord Eyvisl! You have been gone for a long long time. Glad that you are home and well! What are you eating this eve Lord?

Welcome home Eyvisl.

Eyvisl Yngling
      Forum Editor
      @eyvisl

Having traveled from the Far far East, through magical Africa, west across the glittering Mediterranean my journey finally lead me far North to my home in Svealand. Seeing the large break in the trees with Ynglinghall rising from the grassy plain made my heart sing! Steamy breath from the herds of horse & cattle’s flaring nostrils, smoke rose from big hearth fires. All of the sights, the smells of home filled me. As I approached the stables a young man that I didn’t recognize right away, came to take my horse. “Lord Eyvisl! It is a pleasure to see you home. How were your journeys?” There was something familiar about the lanky young mans eyes… “Son, you look so familiar. Wait, is that you? Birger Arneson!! You have grown to a handsome young man. How is your Father Arne? I miss him greatly.” The man smiled at the recognition after such a long time. “Lord Eyvisl, let me take your horse, he looks sickly after being on a ship for so long.” I nodded in thanks as I turned towards the ancient & storied Ynglinghall, home for many generations of the Yngling line.

Arash
      Forum Moderator
      @arash
      Founding Member

“Bodil, Lord Eyvisl is a very convincing man, I m quite certain that he will convince the Merchant to turn west at The Nile Delta, not East towards Çatalhöyük. He will be here in one turn of the moon, he spoke of his desire to sail on the… Forgive me ma’am, I cannot pronounce the name of his ship.”

Bodil looked at me with a tepid expression, a doubtful expression. Her eyes narrowed as she spoke “I’ll believe it when I see it.”.

Bodil
      Forum Editor
      @bodil

“What news have you of Lord Eyvisl?”

He lifted his gaunt face from the large bowl of stew, finished his bite of bread slowly.

“He has been on the crew on a ship from the far East for months called the Lang Huan. He reached Gebtu on the Nile in Kemet 30 days ago and found another ship that… is now in a hurry since he spoke to the Captain.”

Arash
      Forum Moderator
      @arash
      Founding Member

“Thank you Lady Bodil, I an grateful for your hospitality. Lord Eyvisl will be here sooner than he anticipated. ”

I watched as he was feverishly eating the lamb stew and drinking the honey mead.

Bodil
      Forum Editor
      @bodil

The rainy day brought on of our Rangers with news of a man on a horse approaching from the South riding like he was escaping Hel herself. By Noon he arrived launching off of his horse, taller than ours by far. “I bring news from Lord Eyvisl! Please bring me some food and honey mead, it has been a long ride.”. I introduced myself and set the Thralls to the task of caring for his long-legged horse and getting him some food. I was anxious for his news.

Eyvisl Yngling
      Forum Editor
      @eyvisl

Huh? It smells like patchouli in here. Wait, Bodil was my friend Leah here recently?! 🙄

Leah-Enkidu
      Forum Moderator
      @leah_enkidu
      Paying MemberFounding MemberLeah

Hello, bobo

Everything you mentioned sounds delish! Not as delish as meso food though.

I will have it all, thank you very much, with a big bowl of meade. I will be heading back home. I can’t stay in this freezing weather for long.

Bodil
      Forum Editor
      @bodil

M’Lady, I am here to serve you. I will always be here even when Lord Yngling is away, like usual. What would you like dear? As you can see, there are quite a lot of options. I do have some pit-roast boar that finally finished cooking, a very fine batch of honey-mead & my very own lamb stew with potato, carrot, onion, garlic & leeks.

@leah_enkidu

Leah-Enkidu
      Forum Moderator
      @leah_enkidu
      Paying MemberFounding MemberLeah

Opens the door and heads straight for the fire* Why would ANYONE live in a place that is freezing and is covered with white cold sand!! These people are really weird. Since no one is here, I’ll search around for something to eat and drink.

Bodil
      Forum Editor
      @bodil

I most certainly do Talon. Sit by the fire, my staff will take care of your horse.

@ranger

@bodil

Talon
      Forum Moderator
      @ranger
      Founding Member

I’m Talon. Have you any food for a weary traveler?

Talon
      Forum Moderator
      @ranger
      Founding Member

A short elderly woman emerges from one of the doors and flinches when seeing me. She warmly greets me in Svealandr tongue. “Välkommen främling! Vad kan jag hjälpa dig med?” (Welcome stranger! What can I do for you?) She is obviously good people, “I’m only here to seek the service of Lord Eyvisl and to rest my horse. May I sleep in the stables?” She responds to my Angle”s tongue with no accent at all. “You are welcome here traveler, you need food, as does your horse. My name is Bodil, what is yours?”

Talon
      Forum Moderator
      @ranger
      Founding Member

A long day riding, my horse is exhausted & thirsty. I come upon a large great-hall made of stone. The dis-repaired thatched roof shows that there are stone shingles or tiles beneath. This is a fortress. The few windows are made for archers, not for sunlight. This looks like a family home though, Chickens scurry under foot, the goat shit stinks & the horses and sheep run free. Dogs run around the herds & flocks fending predators.

Eyvisl Yngling
      Forum Editor
      @eyvisl

Drengr! Make the fire bigger please. More food and mead as well.

Viewing 18 reply threads

Please login logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register