Site Devel & Bug Reports

anachronous history forums Site Devel & Bug Reports

This topic contains 43 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Eyvisl Yngling .

• Creator
    Topic

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

Please let us know of anything wrong w/ the site. Post here or contact Eyvisl or Poh.

*LAST UPDATE 2018-02-08
    FIXED – IP addresses showing on forum/topic/posts.

FIXED – No follow-back link on Daily Activity for replies/posts.

FIXED – Log-in & Registration difficulties.

FIXED – User-role privileges.

FIXED – Messages are white on white – UPDATE 2018-02-07 Totally fixed now. – Eyvisl

FIXED – Admin toolbar is not showing for all admin. – Eyvisl

FIXED – Notifications page is WAY too low contrast, hard to read. Is a bit better. UPDATE 2018-01-21 – Totally fixed now. – Eyvisl

FIXED – Profile text boxes are unreadable…unless you use a page link to a home we can help you build somewhere in the (ancient) world forums. UPDATE 2018-02-07 Totally fixed now. – Eyvisl

FIXED – Log-in on landing page is duplicated and right side cut off.

FIXED – All links to the main (AHF) forums just decided to not work.

FIXED – Mobile log-in disappeared.

FIXED – Recent Activity was -firstly- zero contrast (unreadable) so then I just put 2 widgets at the bottom of every forum to get limited representations of the activity (it was lame). Then I finally figured out the way to fix it in this WordPress theme that I am using.

forums + members + recent-activity + register

• Author
    Replies
    Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Thanks Mangas!! Great to have you back!
    @mangascochise

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

Sorry about life getting in the way here … I have some more things I will be posting in Americas this weekend.  Some old stuff mostly, but I’ve my eye on some new material.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

anachronous.net is now working. However we do not have an SSL for this domain name yet so use either anachronous.net or http://anachronous.net for now. https://anachronous.net won’t work until we buy the SSL.
    @mangascochise
    @cidwmsilure
    @anarane
    @mariamarius
    @pohjantahti

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

The Notifications & Recent Activity better are than ever, fully featured & readable. Go check out the Recent Activity! I have also gone through each-&-every one of the over 130 forums & did two subtle & one major (but important) thing. *If you see a forum that doesn’t have the right side-bar or where the Recent Activity link leads no-where PLEASE let me know here or by PM!
    @mangascochise
    @pohjantahti
    @cidwmsilure
    @anarane
    @mariamarius

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

We’re almost ready to show the world & start getting new members. The only thing I am having trouble w/ is the membership thing and pricing (you guys are all Founders though).
    @mangascochise
    @pohjantahti
    @cidwmsilure
    @anarane
    @mariamarius

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

EVERY (known) bug has been fixed!! Please let us know of any bugs that need to be smushed on the site. Thanks for your patience!!!!

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

DID IT!! Messages, notifications & stuff are all easily read. Granted, AHF looks a little dated but thats two more bugs killed. 😀

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Since we admin are trying to create a cohesive experience for all, we will likely go edit your forums, topics & replies when they are not formatted correctly. We are still writing a separate User Guide for Authors, Editors, Legates & Admins. Until then be patient, we will figure this all out together.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

@mangascochise we LOVE all feedback, keep it coming.
    Use the edit Forum link in the top admin bar, then make sure you click on “text” view. I went and fixed that for you BTW.
    *Also, please insert this coding at the bottom of any location forums for continuity. Not needed on personal forums or most topics.

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

Hate to make more feedback stuff, but the para break thing isn’t working for Lands of the Aurora Borealis, even though I got them to work for Monte Albans (as long as I never open to edit again, I fear…).  Big run-on paragraphs.  I’ve noticed other spots here where people have put up forum info, and are stuck with the same thing.  Yes, I know the code.

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

Today I is back; Goals are to reorganize the North America region, and seek out good places where I can post other old material that I wrote up back at AW. (There was a series of “articles” I wrote on New World beverages; atm I figure I’ll hang them off Monte Albans, as the bar is there.)

MeryetNit
    Forum Editor
    @meryetnit

I get dibs on Tjenu/Thinis!

Poh
    Forum Editor
    @pohjantahti

Mangas is the only one doing write-ups though. I’m trying to get some done but I’m not getting far. Until we all start doing what Mangas is doing we won’t be ready for the public. I say that we stay out of Mangas’ way (except for how-to’s support on our wiered WP site) & start at the top and work down. KMT (Egypt) is going to take FOREVER because of not only Upper & Lower there’s THIRTY-EIGHT “Nomes” to do write-ups for. 😐 I’m going to start there. If anyone works on KMT, okay post here which one you are working on for obvious reasons.
    @mangascochise
    @eyvisl

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Mangas is a huge part of why Anachronous History Forums will be ready for the world soon. Thank you Mangas, we appreciate all that you are doing!!
    @mangascochise

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

I will be here most of tomorrow afternoon updating The Americas. Various things ready to implement…

Poh
    Forum Editor
    @pohjantahti

@eyvisl It’s a ghost town, we really need to figure out a way to contact AWers & new people to get on here. For now I’m going to the North Star to act like i am in RL (drinking beer). See you there

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

It would take most months to notice what I did today. Let me know if you are curious!

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

ALSO, profile fields are zero-contrast (unreadable). However, page-links show up just fine. SO, pick where you want a home in the (ancient) world of Anachronous & we’ll make you a home that you can link to from your (otherwise unreadable)  profile text areas. That’s all we’ve got for now. Click on my avatar and go look at my profile to see what I mean. ***If the part of the (Anachronous) world you want to live in has not been built, click on my avatar to message me and I’ll build it. *Of note, we can move things to other places very easily.

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

Notifications are low-contrast. For now, just hover the cursor over them. They become high-contrast, easy to read and follow.

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

Para Break command is wiggly.

I posted Monte Alban in Meso yesterday, and discovered that trying to put in Paragraph breaks in a forum description is a PITA.

I don’t have this problem on my WordPress blog (which admittedly is just a blog, and not a forum), so I am not sure where this is coming from.

In order to do it, I had to go into “edit” (read, HTML) mode, and put in their specific command for paragraph breaking – and save.  EACH paragraph.

I went in today to add another sentence, but all those BR commands were gone, so I exited out quickly because I just didn’t have patience to re-enter them all  again.

PS, for those who want paragraph breaks in forum edits:  it is not just “lesserthan BR greaterthan”, it is “lesserthan BR space / greaterthan”.

It does seem like paragraph breaks do work in responding to topics just by hitting the enter key.   Good.

Ziyi
    Forum Editor
    @ziyi

For me the 2 things that need to be fixed before we go fully public are that the User Notification & User Profiles are just totally screwed. Once those are fixed, were good.

Eyvisl Yngling
      Forum Editor
      @eyvisl

@ziyi Agreed. The text & background are almost the same. Must be fixed, working on it. Help find the right plug-in if you have time.

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

BTW, if you don’t have your old data, SOME of it is obtainable if you go to the Wayback Machine:  http://web.archive.org/

Search on http://www.ancientworlds.net , pick a date when they web-crawled there (2013 looks potent) and surf around until you find it.

Many of the graphics were not collected, but many of the actual pages were.

Obviously, just copy your own stuff.   But you should be able to find some good references anyway.

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

@anarane reminded me to fix the user notifications font/background contrast (lack of). I’m on it.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

YYYYYYYES!!!!! Personal messages are fixed!

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

Toolbar today shows up for me.  Hence, I’m adding in a few things in the Americas.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

*LAST UPDATE 2018-01-19
    FIXED – IP addresses showing on forum/topic/posts.

FIXED – No follow-back link on Daily Activity for replies/posts.

FIXED – Log-in & Registration difficulties.

FIXED – Messages are white on white

Log-in on landing page is duplicated and right side cut off

Admin toolbar is not showing for all admin.

** Please tell us if you see any other bugs and also whether the tollbar shows at the top of (any) page when you are logged in.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Pretty sure that all of you can now have multiple personae on a single email. When logging in just use the username to do so.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Please contact the listed members below to participate in the development of any Continent or Culture, Empires or Cities below.

1. Ipskakt – Levant, Mediterranean & Mesopotamia
    2. Mer – Africa
    3. Cochise – Americas
    4. Eyvisl – Europe
    5. Ziyi – the Orient
      Eyvisl Yngling
      Forum Editor
      @eyvisl

As Ipskakt is “host” for Mediterranean, Mesopotamia & Levant. He is asking for someone to host Meso or Levant. BTW, I’m adding the ability to have multiple personae to most of you. Use the same email.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

ATTN: all current members. We are aware of the odd double half-visible (usable) log ins on the Anachronous homepage when not logged in. https://brannigandraic.com/anachronous

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

*REPOST (to correct Topic)
    1. Added Discussion Threads to all 51 forums (nearly all forums are locations around the ancient world);

2. Started adding regions & cities. PLEASE tell us what is missing… or just add it! ;

3. Have been battling Russian bot attacks & hacking (not joking),

4. Added more functionality for users & extra features in all areas;

5. Continuously working on style-coding & external media embeds that wont drain our monthly allotments for data usage. **Of note: There are 2 Taverns here. Task: Your task is to go find them! HINT: We still need a tavern in Asia, the Americas & the Mediterranean. If those of you who can do it have an idea, go for it. *There is a LOT more happening. Stay tuned!

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

@mangascochise Browser restrictions are removed… except for Tor browsers. Have patience in the near future for attempts at making this secure w/o being annoying to users. We are getting mauled from eastern-european & korean hacks. 😐 Everything still has to be tweaked before we go full public.

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

List of current bugs that I can think of at the moment:

1. Personal messages (for me) have the text as the same color as the background! Grr. I am experienced at this but I’m momentarily stumped because my CSS is incomplete currently.

2. Daily activity doesn’t have a breadcrumb to lead back to the response/post/replies. That one is driving me nuts. I’m working on it while juggling a few other things. I am switching WP themes & plug-ins to get this site just right & it’s a challenge despite my experience (specifically) in this type architecture (CMS/WP). The hitch is this, an online forum-based-community in a CMS site is a lot of bug-hunting. Be patient my (new & old) friends. We have killed hundreds of site-bugs so far, more to do. See you on the boards!

3. IP address display is an issue for me. When I am logged in as Eyvisl (also me) I am asked to build the “infrastructure” of entire empires for members. Then -since they take over- I attribute the forum/topic/whatever to that person who requested such or took it over. The problem is that the IP address doesn’t change (as associated to the user # that we all have attached to our IP addresses). I’m literally logged into the server-side PHP databases to attempt to either conceal or re-attribute the forums to new authors & it is not happening. 😐

MeryetNit
    Forum Editor
    @meryetnit

My tollbar across the top isn’t showing when in my phone.

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

Daily Activity Feed (page) is better now, couldn’t read the text content w/o highlighting where it should be because the settings would not let me change the background to contrast the text. I have a temporary fix for now. If you want to go to the topic that the response is in click [READ MORE] to go to that topic (& forum). Thanks for your patience. It is a LOT of work building a site like this!

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

Actually, Poh, I’ve been online for enough years that i know Windows isn’t a browser, but Window 10 isn’t calling their current iteration of IE by the name of Internet Explorer. Since I have no idea which variants of their browser work here or not (not having the others, I simply wrote my post the way I did).  Just to clarify.

I do like Chrome, and I even have Firefox (but that seems quirky on my current set up).  Not sure that everyone who uses Windows of any iteration always downloads multiple browsers.  Sorry about the bots attacking via IE (by whatever name MS wants to use today) or Tor, which I thought was supposed to be safe… but I guess safe mostly for people who want to spew out bots….  (I’ve never worked using Tor.)

Mogh Roith
      Forum Editor
      @brannigan

@mangascochise I can unblock IE browsers, gimme a bit. Also trying to get the Daily Activity Thread easier to read.

Mangas Cochise
        Forum Editor
        @mangascochise

Mogh, as I am now using Chrome here, I am perfectly happy with this browser.  A lot of potential viewers may be using the default browser in MS, which originally was named Internet Explorer (Exploder???) and now seems to be named Edge.   Hopefully the bots can be dealt with, and I do agree that’s a major issue.  Sigh.

Edit .. I have yet to look at this site from my Kindle or my Android phone.  That won’t be something I’d often do (I like a real freaking keyboard when I type!), but I should note it in a day or so.

Mangas Cochise
    Forum Editor
    @mangascochise

I tried logging in from Windows 10 browser… the login submit button was way off the screen to the right, and was impossible to log in from that browser.

I did see half a button when I switched to Chrome, enough to permit me to log in. But you may want to make this accessible from all major browsers.
    ADMIN UPDATE 2018-01-15: Issue fixed

Poh
      Forum Editor
      @pohjantahti

@mangascochise You are probably using IE (Internet Explorer) browser. Windows is the operating system, not browser. We opted to not allow IE & Tor browsers for security reasons.

Mogh Roith
    Forum Editor
    @brannigan

Seriously upgraded security for the site. We’ve gotten hacked recently & infested by bots. **TOR browsers are no longer allowed. It is unfortunate to have to do this because added security tends to detract from the user experience. Please keep us posted about any troubles with logging in. Email eyvislyngling@gmail.com if locked-out.

Please login logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

anachronous history forums Site Devel & Bug Reports

Skip to toolbar