At the bar in The Pewter Tap Inn

At the bar in The Pewter Tap Inn

anachronous history forums EUROPE THE WESTERN ISLES Eire (Ireland) Mide The Pewter Tap Inn At the bar in The Pewter Tap Inn

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Eyvisl Yngling .

• Creator
    Topic

Beric
    Forum Moderator
    @beric_debenkah

Welcome to The Pewter Tap Inn!

The Pewter Tap

MENU

HORN OF HOUSE ALE

Use code below to show the House Ale pic in your reply.

*Control(+)a & then Control(+)c to copy the code. Control(+)v to paste it!

MUG O’ MEAD

Pit roast Boar or Spit roasted Lamb served with whatever vegetables we have. Potatoes and carrots? you got it!

log-in +
    recent-activity +
    members +
    donate

• Author
    Replies
    Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl
    Owner RegulatorStaff ScribePaying Member

Awesome riddles!! Thanks Beric. BTW folks AHF Samhain is still going through the weekend. Come on in!
    @beric_debenkah

Beric
    Forum Moderator
    @beric_debenkah
    Founding MemberPaying MemberHonorary Scribe

Answers to Lateral Quiz :

(1). A man lies dead in the middle of the Sahara desert, next to his body is a package that could have save his life. What’s in that package ? Answer : An unopened parachute.

(2) A woman watched her husband plunge headfirst down a deep ravine, she returned home to find him in the kitchen, chopping up onions for the evening meal. How is that possible ? Answer : Her husband was a stuntman in an action/thriller film.

(3). A carrot, a soccer scarf and five buttons were found in a field, if nobody placed them there, how did they get there ? Answer : A melted snowman.

(4). Adam ran halfway into the forest, Eve claimed she had gone two-thirds of the way into the same forest in the same time it took Adam, but Adam said. ‘Eve that was totally impossible !’ Why was Adam correct in what he said ? Answer : You can only run half way into a forest, when you reach the mid-way point you’re running out of the forest.

(5). A man stopped his car opposite a hotel and immediately knew that he was bankrupt ? How ? Answer : He was playing monopoly.

(6). A woodcutter had a cube of oak which never got smaller and was never cut. How can it be that he changed its shape from a cube to an Egyptian pyramid ? Answer : The oak was sawdust and he poured it from the cube to the pyramid.

(7). What occurs once in June and July, but twice in August ? Answer : The letter U.

(8). Two scrabble champions played five games of scrabble, each champion won and lost the same number of games, but there was no draws. How is this possible ? Answer : They were not playing each other.

(9). Add 2 to 171 and make it less than 18 ! Answer : It’s a pictorial poser rather than a mathematical problem. 17 and a half.

(10). You enter a deserted house late a night, inside there is an oil lamp, a gas fire, and a stove full of paper, kindling and wood, but you only have one match left in the box. So which should you light first ? Answer : The match.

(11). A man is released from hospital and begins to walk home, he passes a public phone box which begins to ring, instead of answering it, he punches the air and is extremely happy. But why this eccentric behaviour ? Answer : He had recently been cured of his deafness.

(12). Why are 1984 bottles of whisky more valuable than 1977 bottles of whisky ? Answer : Because there is 7 more bottles – 1,984.

(13). Sherlock Holmes finds Romeo & Juliet dead on the living room floor surrounded by broken glass, he knew the lovers were alone when the died. So what killed them ? Answer : Romeo & Juliet were goldfish.

(14). A man looks mournfully out of a window. He is desperate to open the window, yet he knows if he does it will kill him. Why ? Answer : He’s a submariner in a submarine.

(15). Five men were travelling along a lane, it began to rain, four men quickened their pace, but all got soaked, the fifth man didn’t quicken his step but remained perfectly dry, he didn’t have a hat or an umbrella. How can this be ? Answer : Unfortunately, the fifth man was inside a coffin.

(16). The maker does not need it, the buyer does not use it, and the user uses it without knowing. What is it ? Answer : A coffin.

(17). A completely naked man robs a newspaper kiosk, and then runs into a crowd of people, the police are unable to find the thief, and the witnesses have great trouble in describing him. But why ? Answer : The incident happened in a nudist colony.

(18). Following a tip-off, a team of FBI agents burst into a house to arrest a suspected murderer. All the agents know is his name in Bud. In a smoky backroom the agents find a bank manager, two plumbers and a lorry-driver, they immediately arrest the bank manager. But why ? Answer : The two plumbers and the lorry-driver are women.

(19). A man died on the 23rd of January, yet he was buried on the 22nd of January. Was this a premature burial ? Answer : He passed away in Fiji, and his body was flown to Western Somoa, and the plane crossed the International Time Line.

(20). Loki the trickster likes a game of chance, a deadly game that cheats death, he places two pills on the table, one is yellow and the other is green, if his opponent wins he gets Loki’s gold, but if he looses he gets poisoned. The first man watched by the second man, sits at the table with Loki, looking at the two pills on the table, he chooses the yellow one and washes it down with a cup of water, but falls off the chair poisoned. The second man chooses the green tablet, leaving Loki with the yellow one, he also falls from his chair poisoned. But why ? Answer : The pills are harmless, Loki has poisoned his opponents water.

Pohjantahti
    Forum Editor
    @pohjantahti
    Owner RegulatorPaying MemberStaff Scribe

Happy Samhain!! Trick or treat! Ale, not candy please.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Happy Halloween!! Where are all of you?!

@beric_debenkah
    @dervlaerin
    @pohjantahti
    @eirikrknudsson
    @mariamarius
    @aulus_sergius
    @anarane
    @dez
    @estarfigam
    @leah_enkidu
    @cidwmsilure
    @Quintus_Cinna_Cocceius
    @MangasCochise

Loegaire
    Forum Editor
    @loegaire_buadach
    Paying MemberFounding MemberHonorary Scribe

It’s a cold night outside, the October wind rattles the tiles of the Pewter Tap, as the pub sign swings back and forward on its rusty hinges, I enter the warmth of the main bar and receive a friendly greeting from the barmaid come Tap owner Dervla Kirwan, a gothic beauty from Churchtown, Dublin.

I ask for a pint of Winter Ruby, as I watch Dervla with her black painted nails and black lipstick draw a richly coloured pint of Ruby, Dervla is all dressed in black resembling the English cult of Victorian mourning.

She takes my Euro’s with a smile and turns towards the elaborate cash-till, being a man I can not help to check out her wonderful apparel, a black velvet evening dress that perhaps belongs to the Edwardian time of fashion, a tight black leather corset tinged with pumpkin orange worn above the evening dress, fishnet black stockings and large flat soled leather boots.

I know the Mac Caba brothers call her Morticia Addams behind her back, to wary to call her that name to her face, but she has the beauty of Siouxsie when she sang with the Banshees in the eighties.

She smiles at me again and says. ‘Its a bad show for the Fahrenheit 451 Club, the posters have been up for a month, your friends Denarius and Beric are in the Snug Bar. I will join the three of you in a minute’.

This was Dervla’s idea, Fahrenheit 451 being her favourite film, 451 is the temperature at which book paper catches alight, the sacrilege of book burning, so as member we have to recite from memory a passage from a book.

Dervla’s enthusiasm and beauty is intoxicating without drinking Ruby’s Strange Brew, I clean my spectacles with a cloth, smile at Dervla, picking up my pint I make my way to the Snug and its welcoming fire to find Denarius and Beric both wearing spectacles.

‘Happy Halloween’.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Happy Halloween everyone! A round of drinks is on me!

Loegaire
    Forum Editor
    @loegaire_buadach
    Paying MemberFounding MemberHonorary Scribe

Wow!

Also great thanks from me, now this is something special as the Beltaine in Leinster will be, thank you both, much appreciated from this side of the pond. Your very happy Ui Neill, Loegaire.

The mundane and spiritual fauna of the Celtic World is a subject that greatly interests me, the most fantastical creatures that occupy a significant place in our folkloric collective psyche, keeping an open mind, like Frank Zappa’s parachute analogy of the human brain, it only works when its open, about the existence of supposedly imaginary creatures, like the belief in mountainous areas of the world with their tales of reptilian fire-breathing dragons, most probably pterosaurs or pterodactyls, the flying dinosaurs who got above the dust clouds of the Yacatan Peninsula asteroid collision.

Its fascinating that in literature and films we continue to anthropomorphize the creatures we live on Earth with, for extra dramatic impact, such as the Celts and the Neolithics did before us, the attributes of all living creatures, give humankind a rich and very diverse catalogue of symbolism, sometimes, the reasons behind these ancient symbolic meanings are due to misconceptions of our ancient ancestors about the habits observed of certain creatures.

Probably dating back to when we were less informed about nature then we are today, take the common crane, a bird almost deified by the ancient Celts, because of its habits and characteristics, creature symbolism feature in some of the earliest magical arts of humankind, recorded for prosperity in the Neolithic cave paintings.

Reference : David O’Neill.

Beric
    Forum Moderator
    @beric_debenkah

Excellent :

Thank you dear friends, Ziyi & Eyvisl, I love the interior of the Inn, and so does my wife Athildus, and the drinking horns are so appropriate for the Samhain, I respect your AHF site very much, and have a slight phobia that I might muck things up when it comes to coding. Again thank you so much Ziyi, its absolutely perfect.

The Samhain:

Pronounce ‘Sawin’, a Gaelic seasonal festival which heralded the passing of summer and the beginning of winter, as the 31st October was regarded as the last day of the Celtic year, you could say it was a New Year’s gathering, the Coligny Calendar which dates from 50AD, records the first written accounts of celebrating the Samhain as the Samonios, the great assemblies of the Five Irish Provinces took place at Tara, but previous to that it was held on Cnoc Tlachtga, it was one of the High-Kings who transferred the Samhain to Tara, for political reasons.

Reference Used : Miranda Green.

Ziyi
    Forum Editor
    @nebibit

I’ll take an ale and some Lamb with the Spuds n carrots.

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

By the way, here at The Pewter Tap I had to install the Pewter tap to serve myself a horn of ale. 😉

Eyvisl Yngling
    Forum Editor
    @eyvisl

Yup! Just did that. How do you like the pub now? 😀

Jólnir Santa Claus
    Forum Editor
    @jolnir
    Founding MemberSanta Claus

We can help. Just email imagery and what you want done to anachronousnet@gmail.com

Beric
    Forum Moderator
    @beric_debenkah

Re : Decorating The Pewter Tap :

Dear Jolnir,

I have tried and failed miserably to put a coat of paint on the walls of the Inn, I’m still struggling to get my head around HTML content codes and cutting and pasting in my notebook or picture library, it appears when it comes to mind-bending codes, I appear strong, of the arm, but, a bit thick of the head.

I will have to surrender to the wishes of the goddess’s and gods of the Anachronous Graphical Arts of Goibhniu, Luchta & Creidhne, I’m even willing to add bribery to my plaintive plea.

Goibhniu, Luchta & Creidhne, were the triad of the Irish craft-gods, who belonged to the Children of Danu, Goibhne was an expert smith with a complete understanding of the metallic properties that he could use his virtuoso skills to mould and hammer into things of metallic beauty. Luchta, was a wheelwright, but he could fix and repair anything that had been damaged, from fire-dogs to a cauldron, finally Creidhne, who was an expert metalworker, who assisted Goibhne in his fiery forge or tinkered with Luchta in his workshop cavern.

Reference used : Miranda Green.

Jólnir Santa Claus
    Forum Editor
    @jolnir
    Founding MemberSanta Claus

Santa here. We need to get this place decorated for Samhain ASAP.

Beric
    Forum Moderator
    @beric_debenkah

Cuirtear Failte Mhor Roimh Chach:

All Are Warmly Welcomed :

The Pewter Tap Inn is only opened on the 31st October – 1st November to celebrate The Samhain & Halloween, The Tap is located in Athboy, in County Meath.

The Brewery Tap is the nearest outlet for the politically correct Ath-Boy – Ath-Girl – Ath-Person Brewery and Tap.

We cater for all needs, we have meat stews of chicken, beef and pork simmering away in the cheeks of the kitchen’s cauldrons, we also cater for the needs of vegetarians, for we have a wide-range of vegan meals on the menu, your pets are also welcomed, we even cater for their needs, freshly made meaty bowls for dogs with a discerning carnivore taste, or quorn, the meat substitute for the vegetarian canine.

The weather vain on top of The Tap House was constructed by the local blacksmith Goibnen, in commemoration of the encounter of the Fire-Goddess Tlachtga with the druid Oak-Wren, when the goddess told the druid. ‘There are more things in heaven and earth that are dreamt in your philosophy, druid’.

Reference : Created By Beric.

Beric
    Forum Moderator
    @beric_debenkah

Dear Poh,

I have the 20 answers, some may make you smile, others might be so corny,  you might ask me to leave The Pewter Tap. Best Wishes for the Sawin, your friend, Beric. Excuse me Poh while I fill the large blank space with a few words directed at the Sawin and is not anything personally to do with my post to you.

Is it a trick or a treat to peer into The Dark Mirror Of An Fear Airgid’s Psychomanteum, to see spiritual echoes of the Kingdom of Mide in days gone by. The Victorians held great faith in the elaborately designed Psychomanteum Mirrors, that created scrying portals to unworldly reflection. The Victorian exponents likened the experience of gazing into the Manteums as a venture that was similar to the Ancient Greek Necromanteion, another function of scrying. Herbert Wells recorded that he saw the copper reflection of an Iron Age princess, whist contemplating the magnetic energy of the dark mirror.

To witness the dark reflection of Cromain Laghairt crawling out of the cave of the deadly spider Cosa Mathair Fada, leaving his comrade the grey-haired Broc, entangled in the sticky cacoon-webbing of The Maithair, the vision of the druid Red-Hue searching for his oracle bones he lost in the Fortress of Baile Atha Troim, or to hear the sweet music of Uisce Lomaman’s lyre made of hazel wood with cat-cut strings, the haunting ballad he composed on Cnoc an Linsigh.

To find the Irish-Themed Tarot cards lost in the mists of time after a skirmish at Dun Laoghaire, or to hear the prophetic words of the sea-shell that Ronnach held to his ear at The Feast of Bray Head, or to witness the fire-breathing horses, Ar Chle and Ceart as they pulled the chariot of Greaman along the King’s Highway, or to observe the Runic magic of the men of the North at The Great Mead Hall of Baile Atha Cliath.

To remote view  the fisherman Gabhar Bui, who took his only daughter Caitlin to see the Arch-Druid of Meath, the white-haired Oak-Wren, telling him that he believed his daughter was Flidais-reborn, the old man listened to the tales of old – told by the young Caitlin, tales about Abhamain, Nia Seaghamain, Fand and Liban, and how in her previous life she had lived on just the magical milk of Moal.  For three days Oak-Wren encamped himself on the top of Cnoc Tlachtga, and when the Arch-Druid descended he told Gabhar Bui. ‘There is a connection,  but your daughter is not Flidais-reborn.’

Reference Used : Folkloric Tales Created By Beric.

Pohjantahti
    Forum Editor
    @pohjantahti

RE: Lateral Thinking Quiz.

You have totally stumped me with your Albion lore quiz. I -for one- am stumped!

Please login logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

anachronous history forums EUROPE THE WESTERN ISLES Eire (Ireland) Mide The Pewter Tap Inn At the bar in The Pewter Tap Inn